Friday, November 12, 2010

Chilly Time of Year

At the end of my haircut yesterday the guy asked me if I wanted to book another appointment in six weeks. "Where exactly does six weeks put us?" I asked as he looked at the calendar. The week of Christmas. THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS. Can we really be that close already?

So I decided to get down the (single) Christmas deco box and retrieve my red and white mug (don't worry, the lights and 2' tree will have to wait until after Thanksgiving). While I was reaching to the high lofts of the closet (Kelsey, I needed my tall neighbor around!) I also pulled down all of my hats, scarves and mittens. Nevermind that the last time I wore these chill-stopping items was on Mother's Day when it snowed for the last time in Ithaca... I was excited to rediscover my favorite yellow hat, and equally excited to add a new winter treasure to the mix--some absolutely amazing fingerless gloves made by my friend that were expertly cable-knit with needles probably the size of toothpicks.
This year I've decided to employ my set of vintage suitcases to house my collection of winter warmers. My sister got me the floral printed one at an outdoor market in Seattle (my first suitcase love!) and I picked up the green set last month at a new little consignment shop. I especially love the old hat box; the green color makes it look like a happy pear. And the table? Someone had it out for the garbage to pick up, so I rescued it and made it the official suitcase holder. I might paint it someday. I might not. It's a little rough around the edges, but it works.

1 comment:

  1. cutest display of vintage luggage that i've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete