Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Not Mott's (or Treetop or Seneca for that matter)

Homemade applesauce is just about the best thing around. It makes the kitchen smell like autumn and while it's fun to make with others, it's also worth making solo (you can steal some hefty spoonfuls for yourself before a hungry husby comes home).
Here's the recipe I used as a guide, but didn't really watch the clock or measure all that much. I opted for seven medium sized apples--a mix of Braeburn, Jonagold and Golden Delicious. I didn't have a cinnamon stick, so instead I added about 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and a generous sprinkling of ground cinnamon.  Near the end I added only 1/4 cup of brown sugar and probably could have done with less. (Recipe from The Joy of Cooking, and sorry for being too lazy to type it out.)
Chopped and ready to go.
Simmer down now, apples. Simmer down.
Served with homemade potato latkes. As you can see, very little effort was put into this shot but I was too hungry to make it look fancy.




No comments:

Post a Comment