Monday, March 7, 2011

Libros!

Sometimes as a kid I would threaten to run away. I'd find a duffel bag in the closet, pack a few shirts and my entire sock drawer (why all those socks?), and announce hysterically to my suburban family from the bottom of the staircase, "I'm running away!!" I never did. Later my mom told me that if I ever actually ran away she would probably find me at the library or a bookstore. Just goes to show what kind of kid I was.

Thankfully after fifteen years I don't make those kinds of scenes anymore (Chris is especially appreciative of this), but I do like to slip away to a book club on the first Sunday of every month. I first saw a poster for the club shortly after moving to Richmond seven months ago and decided to join as a way to meet people and broaden my scope of book chocies. 

When I tell people I'm in a book club, I make sure and tell them that it's a 'no-nonsense' book club. There are no beach reads or fluffy chick-lit paperbacks in sight. We read things like Russian novels and meet at a local coffeeshop. We ride bikes, wear glasses, and munch on homemade vegan treats. I think part of the reason why I love it so much is that I feel like I'm back in Portland when I'm there. Especially since I half expected Richmond to be a city of Confederate sympathizers...

Our March book, nominated and chosen last night, is A Month of Sundays by John Updike. Some of my other 'to-read' books are pictured above. If you live in Richmond, you should come check us out sometime.... more info on Facebook, Tumblr, and Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment