Tuesday, February 8, 2011

An Impressionable Decade

[Image via here]
Yesterday Chris and I discovered an old ruler from elementary school with all of our random desk-related items. It's made of wood and has green little tick marks that match the "Give a Hoot! Don't Pollute!" slogan printed in between the imperial numbers and the metric ones. Take a closer look and you'll notice that I've inscribed little doodles all over the front and back. "Are those stussies???" Chris asked with a laugh. Yes. I was a stussy master.

The only natural next step was to Google it. According to this source, "the 'Super S' or 'Stussy' symbol was drawn by kids worldwide in the 1990s. It was a worldwide meme reaching countries all over the world, primarily drawn at school on binders or notebooks. There is a technique in drawing the symbol (which consists of 14 lines) which was regarded as a kind of special knowledge."

Then stussies got me thinking about pogs. And slammers. Then slammers led to trapper keeper binders, Yikes pencils, episodes of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? and the yearly subscription of Highlights magazine from good ole' grandma and grandpa. If the 90s and the arrival of color TV had coincided, it would have been too much for people to handle...all that NEON.

It scares me to think of the day when the 90s become vintage and trendy. Just don't bring back the clothes. 

Don't. Bring. Back. The. Clothes.

5 comments:

  1. hahaha this post made me laugh so much. i never even knew those were called stussies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a new word today! I will have to google stussies to see what they look like. Maybe I did that too and didn't know it was called anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind!!! I thought you were talking about some sort of doodle. I remember that Stussy logo now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forget the stussie........I am thinking about the clothes that Jessica doesn't want to bring back. Could she mean the leggings that she had 1 pair in every color? Or was it the private school uniform that she wore to public school? If we are talking the "90's", we could be talking about Gymboree clothes and their bright colors. Overalls? Girlfriend/Daughter, all those styles will be back, you can count on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely forgot about the uniform! Remember when grandma told me it would be cool to wear two different colored socks if I had two colors in my outfit?

    Oh dear, I'd like to think I've come a long way since then. :)

    ReplyDelete