Monday, February 28, 2011

Best Sisters


My role model came to town this weekend. We laughed, drank wine, played Scrabble, made delicious veggie Mexican polenta cakes, and watched Mad Men and the Oscars. We brunched at Café Gutenberg, walked to Belle Isle, crashed a fiscal New Year's eve party, and consumed overly sweet but delicious Thai coffee at Betsy's.

Though she may not tell you herself, she has a solid grasp of who she is and who she wants to be. She works as a refugee resettlement caseworker in Seattle and hopes to begin a certification program to teach English to speakers of other languages. She's an adventurous risk taker, a kind hearted gal, and a true friend anyone can count on. The only negative part of this situation is that my little sis and I live on opposite coasts. Somehow it keeps happening that the closer we become as friends and sisters, the more literal miles life puts between us. Just glad she was able to make it to Richmond this past weekend -- she's truly a best sister and I miss her already.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, everything you said is SPOT ON - Alyssa is truly wonderful. I love you TWO, and I'm glad you got to spend time together - I know how it is living on separate coasts from your sister soul mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so blessed to be the mom of two amazing women. Jessica, what you wrote brought tears of pride to my eyes. My heart sings with delight that you two are so close. I can still picture you holding Alyssa when she was a newborn, and you singing to her; "la, la, lu, la, la, lu" from the Disney movie Lady & the Tramp! I love my girls!

    ReplyDelete