Monday, January 24, 2011

Guilty as Charged

I think I need to join a support group. I've cultivated a such strong addiction to blog reading that, should I ever return to full-time working status, it's going to be a real problem cutting back to actually do the important things (like cleaning, eating, sleeping, etc).


I found this article posted somewhere on a random blog after clicking side link after side link after side link. (I think all of this link-clicking is part of what's feeding this blog reading addiction. Maybe you click the side links on this blog too?) While I thought the title of the article was hilarious--"Why I Can't Stop Reading Mormon Housewife Blogs"--I realized that it's absolutely true. Rockstar Diaries, mentioned in the article, is one of my daily reads. You can find the entire article by Emily Matchar here.
I'm a young, feminist atheist who can't bake a cupcake. Why am I addicted to the shiny, happy lives of these women?
At first glance, Naomi and Stacie and Stephanie and Liz appear to be members of the species known as the "Hipster Mommy Blogger," though perhaps a bit more cheerful and wholesome than most. They have bangs like Zooey Deschanel and closets full of cool vintage dresses. Their houses look like Anthropologie catalogs. Their kids look like Baby Gap models. Their husbands look like young graphic designers, all cute lumberjack shirts and square-framed glasses. They spend their days doing fun craft projects (vintage-y owl throw pillow! Recycled button earrings! Hand-stamped linen napkins!). They spend their weekends throwing big, whimsical dinner parties for their friends, all of whom have equally adorable kids and husbands.
But as you page through their blog archives, you notice certain "tells." They're super-young (like, four-kids-at-29 young). They mention relatives in Utah. They drink a suspicious amount of hot chocolate. Finally, you see it: a subtly placed widget with a picture of a temple, or a hyperlink on the word "faith" or "belief." You click the link and up pops the official website of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Yep, Naomi and Stacie and Stephanie and Liz are Mormons. They're members of a large, close-knit network of Mormon lifestyle bloggers -- young stay-at-home-moms who blog about home and hearth, Latter-day Saint-style. From Rockstar Diaries (Naomi) to Underaged and Engaged (Stacie) to Nie Nie Dialogues (Stephanie) to Say Yes to Hoboken (Liz), Mormon lifestyle bloggers occupy their very own corner of the blogosphere. 
[...]
Clearly, life for the Mormon wife is not all crafts and cupcakes. Even if it were, I seriously doubt that crafts and cupcakes are all that much fun when you do them all day, every day.
But the basic messages expressed in these blogs -- family is wonderful, life is meant to be enjoyed, celebrate the small things -- are still lovely. And if they help women like me envision a life in which marriage and motherhood could potentially be something other than a miserable, soul-destroying trap, I say, "Right on." I won't be inviting the missionaries inside for hot cocoa now or ever, but I don't plan on stopping my blog habit any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    I stumbled upon your blog and thought this entry was great. I too have a problem with reading too many blogs, and mistaking them for news (really). It's kind of funny... but then I think maybe not?
    Jenessa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are plenty worse ways to spend my time (at least that's what I tell myself--Facebook, online shopping, too many Bravo reality shows) so I don't mind getting lost in the cyber world of design/style/Etsy finds/DIY ideas/ etc. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete